ITALY: Update on work-related Covid-19 cases

Home > The news of EUROGIP and occupational risks in Europe > ITALY: Update on work-related Covid-19 cases

INAIL has registered 63,761 work-related Covid-19 infections between January and April 2022. This currently represents 24.5% of the total number of cases reported since January 2020. In four months, the number has exceeded that one recorded in the whole of 2021.

Women are mainly affected, but in terms of deaths, men are the main victims (83%). Still according to the 27th INAIL national report, the number of deaths is strongly decreasing. Compared to the 576 deaths in 2020 and the 276 recorded in 2021, in the first four months of this year there were six fatal cases, or 0.7% of the total. The average age of infected workers is 46 years for both sexes. The 50-64 age group accounts for 41.2% of the reports, the 35-49 age group 36.6%, the under 35 age group 20.2% and the over 64 age group 2.0%.

In its new report, INAIL also updates the information concerning the Covid-19 infections which it recognizes and compensates as an accident at work. Thus, at the end of April, 76% of all reports received since the beginning of the pandemic have been positively recognized, generating compensation in the vast majority of cases (95%). For fatal cases, on the other hand, the recognition percentage is provisionally 63%. Compensation is almost entirely made up of temporary incapacity (99%), with the remaining 1% divided between permanent incapacity (around 0.7%) and reversionary pensions in the event of death (less than 0.3%). Temporary incapacity recognised for each type of compensation exceeded a total of four million days, with an average number of days off work.

Find out more

Discover other news

Community news


BusinessEurope’s position on teleworking and the right to disconnect

On 25 June, BusinessEurope responded to the European Commission's consultation on the right to disconnect, pointing out that over-regulation could hamper the growth and benefits of teleworking and arguing for minimal EU intervention, leaving Member States, social partners and companies to develop their own policies.



GERMANY: The importance of reporting traumatic events at work

A colleague falls off a ladder. A nurse is stopped and threatened. A train driver hits a cyclist crossing the tracks at high speed. These incidents can cause trauma and feelings of fear, powerlessness and guilt. They need to be reported in order to provide support for those affected.



AUSTRIA: More accidents at work and on the way to work in 2023

According to data published by the Austrian Social insurance for occupational injuries (AUVA) in mid-June, 145,748 claims were registered last year, broken down as follows 29,866 accidents (at work and and students), 13,062 commuting accidents and 2,820 cases of occupational diseases. While the number of accidents (at work and on the way to work) has increased, the number of occupational diseases has decreased compared to 2022.