In the “health and safety” section of its 2016 work programme, CEN-CENELEC has included personal protective equipment (PPE), ergonomics, explosive atmospheres, health and safety at work and vibrations:
- PPE: CEN-CLC will work on the activities identified in the report submitted to the European Commission to comply with mandate 509 on “protective textiles and personal protective clothing and equipment”. It will also work with the Commission regarding the transition period between the PPE directive (89/686/EEC) and the new regulation which is to be adopted in 2016.
- Ergonomics: CEN/TC 122 will continue to work with its international equivalent ISO/TC 159 regarding the revision of various standards including EN ISO 6385 on “Ergonomic principles of work system design” and EN ISO 10075-1 on “Ergonomic principles concerning the mental workload – Part 1: General concepts, terms and definitions”.
- Explosive substances: CLC/TC 31 will proceed with revision of the EN 60079 series of standards.
- Occupational safety and health: The CEN’s Strategic Advisory Board for OH&S (SAB OH&S) will continue to collaborate with Euroshnet and, from a technical viewpoint, CEN/TC 137 will proceed with revision of the EN 689 standard which defines a strategy for assessment of exposure by the inhalation of chemical substances in the workplace.
- Vibrations: CEN/TC 231 will continue to work with ISO/TC 108 on the development and revision of standards, including part of the EN ISO 10326 series on a “Laboratory method for evaluating vehicle seat vibration”; it will also work on evaluating exposure to vibrations transmitted to the hand, and on a guide relating to data banks on vibration measurements (hands and body).